UPDATE: One person has been arrested by Georgia State Patrol in connection with the deadly accident.
The driver of a tractor trailer was heading eastbound into slowing traffic. The driver hit the back of a Toyota Rav4. The tractor trailer continued driving down the right shoulder of the road after hitting the Rav4 and proceeded to hit seven more cars.
The driver of the Rav4 was pronounced dead on the scene.
COLUMBIA COUNTY, Ga. (WJBF) - The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office confirms deputies are responding to an accident along I-20 Eastbound at Mile Marker 181.
We're told the accident involves a dump truck and a small passenger vehicle.
One person is confirmed to have died.
Avoid the area if possible. There are multiple other accidents involved.
This is the second accident in that area today. Crews also responded to a deadly accident involving a Fulton County police vehicle and an 18-wheeler near Grovetown.
Count on NewsChannel 6 for more details as they become available.
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Parents petition for full time, face to face learning in Columbia County schools
- One injured in shooting on Basswood Drive in Augusta
- One dead, one injured in shooting on Olive Rd. in Augusta
- Three teens charged in alleged rape of 13-year-old
- JENNIE: Miracle Mile "Drive" coming up October 17
- Tampa International to be first US airport to offer COVID-19 testing in terminal
- Augusta Podcasters looking to help others starting in the field
- Silver Star Nation Interactive: Cowboys fall to Seattle, look ahead to Cleveland